Allyson

Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Euthanasia

Euthanasia. Where do you draw the line? I had an eye-opening conversation last night that succeeded in confusing my already fuzzy stand on euthanasia. Originally, I was against it. It's murder, right? But, then after much deliberation, I decided that, in extreme cases, and when the person has decided it himself BEFORE being placed in the situation, and again after he is there, that it is legit and humane.

However. Here's an interesting twist. What if you have a loved one in a coma? And they will never recover. There is no "plug" to pull. One of your options is to stop feeding them. And by feeding, I mean, through an IV. Just take the IV out. If you didn't feed a person and he died, you were actively involved in the death, correct? And if you are actively involved, does that make it murder?

Should the person lying in a hospital bed, with no way to communicate, no way to recognize those loved ones, and no possible hope to recover be subjected to malnutrition? What amazes me is that this is a doctor approved option.

I might possibly think that if God put them in the position that they are in, they should be allowed to die. I.e. Without modern medicine, they would have already been dead.

But, on the flip side of the coin. If I was in a car crash, and without modern medicine, might die of blood loss, infection, or spinal injuries. But if modern medicine could save me, I would want it to, right?

Still thinking in circles,
Probably more on this issue when I am thinking more clearly

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home